Les Barnes Trophy Rules
- The competition is open to all patrols in the Swindon North District and to patrols invited from other Scout Districts and the Guides. A separate competition for Explorer Scouts & Ranger Guides may be run if entries warrant it.
- Each Scout or Guide Patrol must consist of a PL or an APL (acting as a PL) and at least three members preferably from the same patrol. There should not be more than one PL per patrol. Explorer & Ranger teams must consist of at least 4 members
- No team shall be accompanied by an adult unless prior agreement is reached with the organisers.
- The entry fee for the 2012 event is £15.00 per patrol/team & should be sent with the entry form. Cheques are to be made payable to the 1st Swindon Sea Scout Group.
- The competition will involve hiking and other scouting/guiding skills and therefore each team must carry the following equipment:
- Per Team:
OS map (No TBA),Compass, First Aid Kit,Survival Bag,Mobile phone (only to be used in an emergency), White & Red lights for road use – please note that pencil lights are not permitted for this use.
- Per Person:
Whistle, Emergency Rations(1000 cal and 500ml water),Notepad & Pencil, Torch + spare bulb & battery – please note that pencil lights are not permitted for this use.
- Per Team:
- Team members should be suitably equipped for open country i.e. hiking boots or sturdy waterproof shoes, appropriate waterproof outer clothing, headgear and reflective items of clothing.
- Whilst it is the responsibility of their adult leader to ensure that they are properly equipped, ALL teams will have their footwear and clothing inspected on arrival at the assembly point. The organisers reserve the right to withdraw any individual or team that in their opinion are not properly equipped to take part in the activity.
- Each patrol will be allocated a start time and will have a time limit (to be set) to complete the exercise. The organisers reserve the right to retire teams who fail to complete the exercise in the time allowed.
- Patrols should report to the assembly point no later than 20 minutes prior to their start time. Further details on the exercise will be given to the patrol after they have passed inspection.
- Transport to and from the assembly point and the finishing point is the responsibility of the patrols. As a guide allow at least 6 hours after start time for collection.
- Mobile phones are not to be used during the competition except in an emergency situation.
- In the event of an emergency or team withdrawal the Organisers must be contacted in the first instance.
- Hot drinks will be provided at the end of the exercise.
- The Les Barnes Shield will be retained by the winning patrol for one year. The members of the winning patrol will also receive individual trophies and certificates. The Captain Pyro trophy will be awarded to the winning Explorer/Ranger team
- CLOSING DATE FOR ENTRY FORMS AND FEES IS 20.00 HRS date TBA
Entry forms and fees should be sent to:
Bryan McGaw GSL 1st Swindon Sea Scouts, 5 Catherine Wayte Close, Swindon, SN25 3PG or by email to [email protected] (Cheques can be sent by separate post).
- If you have any queries about the exercise (apart from what is actually going to happen) please ring Bryan McGaw on 01793 340702 or 07771 672691. Adults who would like to help during the evening are most welcome, and should contact Steve Iles or Bryan McGaw.
- A short event meeting shall be held on the Thursday date TBA at 1st Swindon Scout Hall, The Brow, Haydon Wick, Swindon.
- A briefing meeting for Leaders and base stewards only, shall be held at 2030 hrs on Thursday date TBA at 1st Swindon Scout Hall, The Brow, Haydon Wick, Swindon.
Presentations for the event are anticipated to occur on either date TBA.
- Tony Kilburn, District Commissioner has agreed to be the independent adjudicator and his decisions shall be final.