Do you know that The Wick has been serving the community of Haydon Wick for nearly 150 years!
Constructed in 1869 as a Wesleyan Chapel it is now used by 1st Swindon Sea Scouts as their home. The Group has continued to grow and now, at record numbers, the time has come to review the building and use for future generations to come.
Just a few years ago The Wick was only used on a Monday (Beavers), Thursday (Cubs) and Friday (Scouts during the winter). Today the group has more than doubled in size and The Wick is now busy every evening and twice on a Friday! Today we have 2 Beaver sections, 2 Cubs sections, a Scout section (which should really be 2 sections) and an Explorer section. Today The Wick is bursting and we simply need more space!
The Exec has recently formed a sub committee to review ideas and plans for The Wick. Many ideas were considered and discussed and today we are pleased to say that we have planning permission to expand and improve our home. The main points will include:
- A second meeting room to accommodate 20-25 young people
- New toilets including facilities for the disabled
- Larger and improved kitchen
- Bike storage
- Upstairs leaders meeting room / break out area
- Safer access to the loft storage area
- Refresh the current building (re plaster)
- Update wiring and pipework
If you would like to see the plans click here The Wick extension plans
The updated detail of the inside can be seen here detailed internal plan
The full planning application can be seen here Swindon Borough Council planning
The project has been split into three main phases. During the construction we will retain access to The Wick so our meetings and activities will continue without any interuption.
- Phase 1 (foundations)
- Phase 2 (superstructure)
- Phases 3+ (fit out)
Obviously the work will cost some money and it is estimated that the overall build will cost around £140,000. We have money to complete phase 1 and are fund raising and investigating grants which may be available to help with phase 2 (£40k).
We are pleased that one of our Scout Leaders Gavin Cox has agreed to be our Project Manager throughout the build. Gavin is being supported in his role by the rest of the team.
Project Manager – Gavin Cox
- Be part of 1st Swindon Sea Scouts buildings committee for the duration of the project.
- Be part of the team to agree the project plan and timelines
- Be responsible for the day to day running of the project
- Ensure any legal, planning and health & safety requirements are adhered to
- Agree contracts and scope of work with suppliers
- Identify and engage with potential donors of building materials / labour
- Source materials for the project
- Ensure communication and good relationships are maintained with stake holders (School, Council, Residents, Members of the 1st Swindon Sea Scout Group)
These are photos of The Wick as it is today in 2016.
- The land inside the boundary fence at the rear is where the 2 story extension will go.
- The public footpath on the side will obviously be retained.
- The front of the building will visually remain the same.
Phase 1 – Foundation (last updated October 2017)
July 2017 – Over the summer we cleared the grass and shrubs at the rear of The Wick to mark out the foundations and make sure everything fitted. The only problem we had was an old tree stump which would need to be removed……….
October 2017 – ……..with the help of a local specialist StumpBusters, our stump was quickly busted by owner Nigel who kindly donated his time for the project and in doing so neatly removed the stump for us. http://www.stumpbusters-northwiltshire.co.uk. Thank you Nigel for your support.
Phase 2 – Superstructure
Phase 3 – Fitting out